Gordon Ramsay Perfect Steak Recipe
The Gordon Ramsay Perfect Steak
Our family loves this simple and flavorful method to make the Gordon Ramsay Perfect Steak! It’s perfect for a special dinner at home or entertaining. Although these steaks are made in a frying pan, you could easily adjust this recipe for cooking on the grill.
How Does Gordon Ramsay Have His Steak?
Sometimes it is intimidating to me to buy steak. It is a temperamental piece of meat that needs vigilant watching while cooking. It also isn’t cheap! We don’t buy steak often, but when we do, there is no way I will waste it by improper cooking!
It’s hard to imagine anything Gordon Ramsay does ever being second rate, and that is no exception when it comes to a little steak tutorial he has had on YouTube for several years.
It’s pretty full proof, and I’ve been excited to share the recipe with all of you!
Gordon Says: If you follow these simple rules, it’s going to be easy. Let the pan get nice and hot. If there’s no heat inside the pan, there’s no color. If there’s no color, there’s no flavor. Make sure the steak is relaxed, meaning it’s at room temperature. A relaxed steak will cook quicker, and won’t be stone cold inside the center.
Gordon Ramsay’s Perfect Steak Ingredients:
▢ Ribeye (or really any cut of steak)
▢ Large grain sea salt
▢ Ground pepper
▢ olive oil
▢ Fresh garlic
▢ Fresh thyme
How to Cook the Perfect Steak
➊ Make sure your steaks are completely thawed. Remove them from the fridge and allow them to sit outside fridge for AT LEAST 20 minutes.
➋ Put a pan over medium-high heat. Season thawed steaks with a good amount of large grain salt (sea salt) and ground pepper, rub bottom of steaks with excess salt and pepper that has fallen onto table.
➌ Once pan begins to smoke drop 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil in and coat pan in it. Lay steaks away from you into pan and let sear for one minute on each side. There should be three sides you sear (top, bottom, and fat side). Render the fat throughout all the cooking.
Note: to render fat, tilt pan up and and lean steaks against far edge of pan as you see below.
➍ Crush some fresh garlic, pinch off some fresh thyme, grab another Tbsp of olive oil and add it to pan around steaks while continuing to turn the steaks every minute.
➎ Add 2 Tbsp of butter to hot pan and baste the steaks by scooping melted butter on top of the cooking steaks.
Pro Tip: Gordon tells you to check tenderness by equating the tenderness of your palm to rare, top of the wrist as medium, and just below that as well done. It is difficult for me to use that method, so I use cheek as rare, chin as medium, and forehead as well done.
➏ Continue basting and turning steaks on the minute until steak is at desired tenderness! Brush steaks with garlic. Remove from heat and place on cutting board and let rest 5-10 minutes, serve and enjoy the ultimate Gordon Ramsay Perfect Steak!
- Ribeye (or really any cut of steak)
- Large grain sea salt
- Ground pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- Fresh garlic slight crushed
- Fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Remove steaks from fridge and let sit room temperature for 20 minutes
- Put a pan over medium-high heat on the stovetop
- Season thawed steaks generously with salt and pepper and rub the bottom of the steaks into excess salt and pepper on table
- When pan begins to show any signs of smoke, place olive oil in pan and make sure pan is coated and well covered
- Lay steaks away from you and flip every minute including rendering the fatback side
- Add the crushed garlic, fresh thyme, and another Tbsp of olive oil in the pan around the cooking steaks
- Add the butter and baste the steaks while continually flipping steaks on the minute
- Remove the steaks when they reach your desired tenderness (cheek = rare, chin = medium, forehead = well done) and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- I enjoy my steaks medium and it took 10 total minutes for the steaks to be ready as pictured!
More Gordon Ramsay Recipes
- Irish Oatmeal Cake Recipe
- Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies
- Easiest Healthy Dessert
- Shake Shack Sloppy Joes
- Pistachio Salsa
- Mini Puff Pastry Apple Pies
- Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies
- Keto Tomato Soup
- Simple Grilled Asparagus
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Crock Pot Carne Asada Tacos
- Instant Pot Spaghetti (Starting with Frozen Meat!)
- Crockpot Buffalo Honey Ranch Drumsticks
- Homemade Tagalongs
- KC-Style BBQ Rub
- Honey Lime Chicken