The Best Fudgy Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownie Recipe
Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownie Recipe
Dietary restrictions or not, chocolate lovers will love this recipe for supremely fudgy brownies with shiny, crackly tops that just happen to also be gluten free and dairy free!
I always try to make a GF DF dessert for any family gathering with my mom and my son in mind. But as a rule, I only make foods that TASTE GOOD first and foremost, and are just coincidentally also GF DF.
Table of Contents
I don’t do a lot with gluten-free flour blends or replacements, because I don’t usually like the texture. And similarly, I really don’t like using butter replacements. Butter replacements typically have a lot of water in them, which throws off the consistency of most baked goods.
So when you see a gluten free and/or dairy free recipe on this blog, you know it’s good FOR REAL! And you probably won’t have to run out an buy any weird ingredients that you don’t normally have on hand. From time to time, I may share one of my mom’s recipes (if it’s REALLY good). And she does use some specialty ingredients.
But if we’re recommending it here, it will most certainly be worth the extra effort!
Ingredients for Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies
Understanding the role of each ingredient allows for a balanced and harmonious combination, resulting in the perfect gluten-free, dairy-free fudgy brownies with a delicious crackly top. So next time you get a chocolate craving, toss the box mix and grab these simple ingredients to make this easy recipe.
- Dark Chocolate or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips*: Provides the primary chocolate flavor and contributes to the fudgy texture of the brownies. Most other dairy-free chocolate chips will work also.
- Coconut Oil: Enhances moisture and adds a subtle coconut undertone, contributing to the overall richness and texture of the brownies.
- Eggs: Acts as a binder, providing structure and stability to the brownies while contributing to their fudgy consistency. Adding them at room temperature is best (but not required).
- White Sugar: Sweetens the brownies and also plays a crucial role in creating the desirable crackly tops when baked.
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances the chocolate flavor, adding depth and complexity to the overall taste of the brownies.
- Salt: Role: Balances the sweetness, heightens other flavors, and contributes to the overall flavor profile of the brownies.
- Cornstarch: Aids in creating a tender and soft texture in the brownies by inhibiting gluten formation.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Intensifies the chocolate flavor and contributes to the dark, rich color of the brownies.
- Baking Soda (just a pinch): Provides a slight leavening effect, contributing to the brownies’ rise and creating that irresistible and iconic crackly brownie top.
*I use Wegman’s brand, because they are dairy free AND affordable!
Can I replace coconut oil with another oil or butter substitute?
I’m sure you can! But I can only speak to the results from using coconut oil. Be sure to let us know in the comments if you decide to make this recipe using something besides coconut oil, so that we know how it turns out.
When substituting, keep in mind that different oils and butter substitutes may impart varying flavors and textures to the brownies. Choose based on your taste preferences and dietary needs. Additionally, if the original recipe calls for melted coconut oil, make sure to use the same amount of the substitute in its liquid state.
If you prefer not to use coconut oil, you can substitute it with other oils or butter substitutes. Here are some suggestions for alternatives:
- Vegetable Oil:
- Neutral-flavored vegetable oil, such as canola or sunflower oil, can be a suitable replacement for coconut oil. It won’t add any distinct flavor to the brownies.
- Olive Oil:
- Extra virgin olive oil can work well, but keep in mind that it has a stronger flavor compared to neutral oils. Choose a mild olive oil to minimize the impact on the overall taste.
- Dairy-Free Butter:
- If you prefer a buttery flavor, use a dairy-free butter substitute in place of coconut oil. Make sure it’s suitable for baking and has a similar consistency when melted.
- Avocado Oil:
- Avocado oil is another healthy option with a mild flavor. It’s rich in monounsaturated fats and can contribute to a moist texture in the brownies.
- Melted Margarine:
- Check for dairy-free margarine options and melt them to a liquid state before incorporating them into the recipe. Ensure that the margarine is suitable for baking.
How can I prevent the brownies from sticking to the pan?
Preventing brownies from sticking to the pan is crucial for easy removal and a clean presentation, and there are multiple ways to accomplish the feat! Here are some tips to help you achieve non-stick success:
- Grease the Pan:
- Use a dairy-free cooking spray or brush the interior of the pan with a thin layer of oil (like coconut oil, vegetable oil, or another oil of your choice). Ensure that all surfaces, including corners, are well-coated.
- Parchment Paper Lining:
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on the sides. This “sling” will make it easier to lift the brownies out of the pan once they are cooled and set.
- Use a Non-Stick Pan:
- If you have a non-stick baking pan, this can significantly reduce the likelihood of sticking. Still, it’s advisable to grease the pan or use parchment paper for added insurance.
- Cool Before Cutting:
- Allow the brownies to cool completely in the pan before attempting to cut them. This gives the structure time to set and reduces the chance of them falling apart or sticking to the knife.
- Run a Knife Around the Edges:
- After the brownies have cooled, run a butter knife or a thin spatula around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pan.
- Chill Before Cutting (Optional):
- If you’re looking for exceptionally clean edges, you can refrigerate the brownies for a short time before cutting. This firms them up, making it easier to get neat, well-defined squares.
By using these, you can ensure that your gluten-free, dairy-free brownies release easily from the pan, allowing you to enjoy perfect squares without any sticking issues.
Kitchen Essentials for Baking the Best Brownies & Bars
We’ve rounded up some absolute game-changers from Amazon that have become necessities in our kitchens. Whether your making a batch of the BEST gluten-free brownies from this post or a dozen of our favorite PB cookies (also gluten free!), you’ll want to stock your kitchen with these baking basics.
Check out these cool tools that’ll make the baking process a little easier– from mixing up to cleaning up to eating up!
- 30 Red Velvet Recipes
- Andes Creme de Menthe Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- The Best Hot Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies Recipe
- How to Make Sticky BBQ Wings in the Oven (With Recipe)
- Easy Halloween Spider Cookies
- Oreo Italian Macarons
- Sheet Pancakes
- Carne Asada Mac & Cheese
- Perfect Dinner Rolls
- Instant Pot Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Chicken Rangoons
- Southern Hot Crackers Recipe