Gone With The Wind
Gone With The Wind is a dessert that my mom used to have at her Grandma’s, and we recently made it together, but while good needed some small tweaks to vamp it up. I hope you try this recipe out!
Make sure to go check out more of our amazing Desert Recipes!
What ingredients did I use to vamp up this Gone With The Wind?
- Egg Yolks
- Cold Water
- Lemon Zest
- Heavy Cream
- Egg Whites
- Pinch of Salt
- Cinnamon Graham Crackers
- Brown Sugar
- Browned Butter
How do we make Gone With The Wind?
- Start out by blooming the gelatin. In a small bowl pour in your cold water the pour the two packets of gelatin over it and put it to the side.
- Then in a metal bowl measure out the milk, sugar, egg yolks, and zest from a whole lemon.
- Put the metal bowl over a pot with just a couple inches of water in it and put it on medium high heat whisking occasionally for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes mix your bloomed gelatin in and it go for another 10 minutes. Then take it of the heat and put it in a fridge to cool.
- While that’s cooling throw a whole box of cinnamon graham crackers into a food processor or blender and pulse until it turns into a fine crumb. Then blend the brown sugar, and cinnamon into it.
- Now for the star of the show in my opinion the browned butter. If you haven’t ever had browned butter prepare for the best thing ever! In a pan on medium heat place your butter and let melt the butter will start to foam, and what your looking for are brown specs at the bottom and a nutty smell. Make sure to not burn the butter.
- Once you have brown specs and a nutty smell pour the butter into the graham crackers and mix. Then grab a 9×12 pan and press the graham cracker goodness into it, but reserve a 1/4 to put on top. Set the pan and remainder of the graham cracker crust aside.
- Now whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Then transfer the whipped egg whites to a different bowl, and whip the heavy cream, pinch of salt, and vanilla until stiff. Then fold the egg whites into the whipped cream.
- When your custardy mixture in the fridge has cooled mix it into the egg white and whipped cream mixture. Once it thoroughly combined pour it into the pan with your crust. Evenly spread it out, and then sprinkle on the remainder of the graham cracker crumb.
- Set it in the fridge for and hour or two, or until firm. Enjoy!
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 Packets of Gelatin
- 1/4 Cup Cold Water
- Zest of whole Lemon
- 1 and 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 14.4 oz. Cinnamon Graham Crackers
- 4 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 8 Tbsp. Browned Butter
- Bloom gelatin in cold water and set aside
- Set up double boiler and measure out milk, sugar, egg yolks, and lemon zest and cook for 15 minutes on medium high heat
- Mix bloomed gelatin in and cook for another 10 minutes then cool in fridge
- In a food processor blend graham crackers and brown sugar together
- Melt butter in pan and let get foamy and when brown specs form at the bottom and it smells nutty pour into graham crackers and mix
- Press graham cracker mixture into 9×12 pan and reserve 1/4 for the top, set aside
- Whip egg whites in stand mixer until stiff peaks form transfer to separate bowl then whip heavy cream, vanilla, and pinch of salt
- Fold whipped cream and egg whites together
- Once custard mixture is cooled mix into the cream and egg white mixture, mix well
- Then pour over crust and crumble remaining crust on top and let set in the fridge 1 to 2 hours
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
- Easy All Butter No Chill Pie Crust Recipe
- Quaker Oats Apple Crisp Recipe with Old Fashioned Oats
- Easy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- The 20 Best Poke Cake Recipes
- Irish Oatmeal Cake Recipe
- Monster Cookie Energy Balls
- Memphis Mac & Cheese
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Crispy Shrimp Tacos with Creamy BBQ Sauce and Chili Lime Slaw
- Sweet Corn Mexican Ice Cream (No Churn)
- Easter Egg Popcorn Bars