These Navajo Tacos have been one of our favorite weeknight dinners ever! The soft Indian fry bread on the bottom is incredible, and you can even save a few for after dinner to spread with honey butter and jam.
Indian Fry Bread
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 15 oz red kidney beans, drained
- 4 oz green chiles
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- diced tomatoes
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
Indian Fry Bread
- Place the milk and the butter in a microwave safe dish and heat for about 90 seconds, or until the milk is warmed and the butter is melted. You may need to stir.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, yeast, and salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix by hand until a dough forms. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over MEDIUM heat. Once the oil is ready (the oil should bubble if you drip water on it), divide the dough into 8 balls. Working with one at a time, flatten the dough in your palms to be about 6 inches in diameter.
- Place the flattened dough in the hot oil and fry until golden brown on the underside, and then flip to cook the other side. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Saute the onion in the oil over medium-high heat for about a minute before adding the ground meat and browning it. Drain the meat if needed (I use a super lean ground turkey and it doesn’t need to drain).
- Add the garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, beans, chiles, and tomato sauce. Mix and let simmer on low for about 10 minutes (covered).
- Layer the meat on top of the fry bread and top with any taco toppings you like! Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 685Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 724mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 27g
- Bobby Flay's Cajun Brined Turkey Recipe
- Dad's Southern Homemade Chili Recipe
- Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Monster Cookies Recipe
- 30 Ideas for Easter Dinner Side Dishes
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato
- Cinnamon French Toast with Banana Fosters
- Pistachio Italian Macarons
- Blender Protein Waffles (Gluten Free)
- Burrito Bowl Salad
- Homemade Chocolate Almond Turtles
- Cookies & Cream Salted Caramel Ice Cream (No Churn)
- Joanna Gaines' Chicken Brie & Peach Flatbreads
- Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Shamrock Shake Copycat Recipe
- Easy Homemade Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Skinny Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bread