Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Get ready for the upcoming holidays with a hassle-free recipe that’s a total game-changer: Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. Whether you’re a kitchen newbie or a seasoned pro, this recipe will turn you into a Thanksgiving dinner hero without any added stress or hassle.
That’s not to say these creamy spuds are for holiday fare only. This is a year-round golden recipe you’ll want to keep on hand for those busy weeknight dinners, Sunday evening pot roasts, and everything in between!
Mashed potatoes are the ultimate Thanksgiving dinner food, because it pairs well with just about everything (maybe not the pecan pie, but just about everything else– especially the turkey)! It’s the perfect buffer food to have on a busy plate filled with lots of different flavors and textures. Which is why it’s so important to get it right.
This Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe is goof-proof, fool-proof, and any other kind of “proof” you can think of! And since it doesn’t take up any oven space or fridge space or stove space, it’s the perfect holiday cooking recipe companion.
Instant Pot Overview
The Instant Pot is a versatile and time-saving kitchen appliance that combines several cooking functions into one device, making it a game-changer for recipes like Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. It works as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté pan, and more, all in a single unit. I don’t know how we ever lived without ours!
More Instant Pot Recipes
For this recipe, the Instant Pot’s pressure cooking feature is the star. When you use the Instant Pot to cook mashed potatoes, it significantly speeds up the cooking process compared to traditional stovetop methods. Here’s how it works and why it’s so helpful:
- Pressure Cooking: The Instant Pot creates a sealed environment where steam builds up, raising the pressure inside. This high-pressure steam cooks the food faster than conventional methods.
- Time Efficiency: When making mashed potatoes, the Instant Pot can cook the potatoes in a fraction of the time it takes to boil them on the stovetop. This is especially beneficial when you’re prepping for a holiday meal and have a lot of dishes to make.
- Retained Nutrients: Pressure cooking in the Instant Pot helps retain more nutrients in the food compared to boiling, as the cooking time is significantly reduced.
- Consistent Results: The Instant Pot ensures even cooking throughout the potatoes, resulting in uniformly tender spuds that are easy to mash.
- Hands-Free Cooking: Once you set the Instant Pot, you can walk away and focus on other tasks without worrying about constant monitoring.
- Less Water Absorption: In this specific recipe, even though you do need to drain the potatoes, the Instant Pot’s cooking process leads to less water absorption compared to traditional boiling, resulting in creamier potatoes.
- Versatility: Beyond mashed potatoes, the Instant Pot can be used for a wide range of recipes, from soups and stews to desserts and even homemade yogurt.
The Instant Pot’s ability to cut down cooking time, conserve nutrients, and provide consistent results makes it an invaluable tool for busy home cooks, particularly during holiday seasons when time and kitchen space are often at a premium. It’s an essential tool to simplify the process and ensure that your Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes turn out perfectly creamy and delicious with minimal effort.
Ingredients Needed for Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Each ingredient in the Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe plays a crucial role in creating the creamy, flavorful, and irresistible side dish that’s perfect for Thanksgiving or any special meal. Here’s how each ingredient contributes:
- Peeled Russet Potatoes: The star of the show! Russet potatoes are starchy and have a fluffy texture when cooked. They provide the base for the mashed potatoes, becoming the creamy canvas for the other ingredients.
- Butter: Butter adds richness and a smooth mouthfeel to the mashed potatoes. Its creamy flavor enhances the overall taste and makes the potatoes more indulgent.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese takes the creaminess of these mashed potatoes to the next level. Its tangy and velvety nature adds depth and a luxurious quality to the dish.
- Salt and Pepper: These classic seasonings are essential for enhancing the flavor of the mashed potatoes. Salt brings out the natural flavors of the potatoes and balances the richness of the butter and cream cheese, while pepper adds a touch of mild heat and depth.
- Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese contributes a salty and umami-rich element to the mashed potatoes. It complements the other flavors, adding depth and complexity to the dish.
Together, these ingredients create a harmonious blend of textures and flavors. The russet potatoes provide a neutral base that’s complemented by the richness of butter and cream cheese. The seasonings add depth and balance, ensuring each bite is flavorful. The parmesan cheese adds a savory note that elevates the overall taste.
Whipping Potatoes vs. Mashing Potatoes… There’s a Clear Winner
Using a cordless hand mixer to whip the potatoes instead of mashing them by hand brings a whole new level of convenience and efficiency to the process. I swear by this KitchenAid Cordless Hand Mixer. I’ve been using it for about 3 years, and it’s revolutionized food prep in my kitchen!
Here’s why I personally prefer this method:
- Effortless Consistency: With a cordless hand mixer, achieving a consistently smooth and creamy texture is a breeze. The mixer’s blades work through the potatoes effortlessly, ensuring there are no lumps or uneven bits.
- Time-Saving: Whipping potatoes with a hand mixer is significantly faster than traditional mashing. The mixer’s powerful motor speeds up the process, which is especially advantageous when you’re cooking for a holiday feast or a large gathering.
- Uniform Incorporation: The mixer ensures that all the ingredients, like butter, cream cheese, and seasonings, are evenly incorporated throughout the mashed potatoes. This leads to a balanced flavor profile in every spoonful.
- Customizable Texture: A cordless hand mixer allows you to control the final texture of your mashed potatoes. If you prefer them extra smooth, you can mix a bit longer. For a chunkier texture, you can stop sooner. It’s all about personal preference!
- Conserves Heat: Hand mashing can lead to heat loss from the potatoes, resulting in a less-than-ideal temperature when serving. Using a hand mixer minimizes this heat loss, ensuring your mashed potatoes are served warm.
- Easy Cleanup: Most cordless hand mixers come with detachable beaters that are easy to clean. This saves time on post-cooking cleanup.
While there’s something charming about traditional hand mashing, the cordless hand mixer offers unparalleled efficiency and consistent results. It’s the perfect tool for busy holiday cooking or whenever you want to create silky-smooth mashed potatoes without breaking a sweat.
Yummy Variations Perfect for Thanksgiving
When it comes to Thanksgiving, mashed potatoes are a staple side dish, and there are plenty of delicious variations to consider. Here are some creative mashed potato ideas to elevate your Thanksgiving feast:
- Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes: Add roasted garlic and grated Parmesan cheese to your mashed potatoes for a rich, savory flavor profile. The garlic adds depth, while the Parmesan provides a cheesy, nutty note.
- Loaded Baked Potato Mashed Potatoes: Top your mashed potatoes with all the classic baked potato toppings, such as cheddar cheese, crispy bacon bits, sour cream, and chives. It’s like a baked potato in mashed form.
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes: Replace some or all of the cream cheese with buttermilk for a tangy twist. Buttermilk adds a pleasant, slightly acidic flavor that pairs beautifully with the potatoes.
- Roasted Garlic and Herb Mashed Potatoes: Roast garlic until it’s soft and sweet, then mix it into your mashed potatoes along with fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, and chives. The result is a fragrant, herb-infused dish.
- Horseradish Mashed Potatoes: Add prepared horseradish to your mashed potatoes for a zesty kick. It pairs particularly well with roast beef if you’re serving it alongside turkey.
- Sweet Potato and Yukon Gold Mash: Combine sweet potatoes and Yukon Gold potatoes for a colorful and slightly sweet twist. The combination of flavors and textures is delightful.
- Cauliflower Mash: Mix cauliflower florets with potatoes for a lower-carb option. Steam or roast the cauliflower, then blend it with the potatoes for a lighter, but still creamy, side dish.
- Maple Bacon Mashed Potatoes: Crumble crispy bacon and drizzle with pure maple syrup over your mashed potatoes. The sweet and salty combination is heavenly.
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 5 pounds of potatoes, peeled and halved
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- pepper to taste
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Potatoes: Put your potatoes in the Instant Pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Add half of the salt. Cook on the steam setting for 12 minutes.
- Release steam right away and drain the potatoes. It's ok if a little water is left in there. I do a very "easy" drain just holding a slotted spoon against the rim of the instant pot liner and pouring the water into the sink.
- Add + Mix: Add the butter, cream cheese, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper to taste. Use a hand mixer to whip the potatoes.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 580Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 1149mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Planning the perfect Thanksgiving dinner involves more than just the main course. It’s about creating a memorable feast that brings together family and friends. Start with the star of the show, turkey recipes that will have everyone eagerly waiting at the table. Whether you opt for a classic roast turkey or experiment with unique stuffing recipes, it’s all part of the holiday cooking adventure.
As you prepare your Thanksgiving dinner, don’t forget to pay attention to the details. Elevate your table with Thanksgiving decorations that capture the spirit of the season, and set the stage for a heartwarming gathering. Consider making homemade pie crusts for your Thanksgiving desserts like pumpkin pie, a perennial favorite.
And when it’s time to enjoy the meal, explore Thanksgiving wine pairings that complement the flavors of your dishes, enhancing the overall dining experience. Remember, Thanksgiving is about more than just the food; it’s a celebration of gratitude and cherished traditions that bring family and loved ones together.
- Easy All Butter No Chill Pie Crust Recipe
- Quaker Oats Apple Crisp Recipe with Old Fashioned Oats
- Easy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- High Protein Pudding Recipe
- Lemon Syrup Cake Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal Recipe
- Gone With The Wind
- 2-Ingredient WW Bagels
- Cookies & Cream Salted Caramel Ice Cream (No Churn)
- Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 3-Ingredient No-Churn Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
- Flat French Bread