The Best Butternut Squash Soup
This butternut squash soup is a family favorite in the Fall and Winter. Even my pickiest eaters love it, especially when it’s served with a side of thick and buttery grilled cheese!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed (you can also use frozen butternut squash, or the pre-sliced boxes in the produce section, OR canned pumpkin puree)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese (low fat works just fine)
- salt, pepper, red cayenne pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter and saute the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add the butternut squash and the chicken broth. Add more broth as needed to completely cover the squash pieces.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until squash is very soft (approximately 15 minutes).
- Add the cream cheese, cover, and continue to simmer until cream cheese is mostly melted.
- Remove from heat and blend until completely smooth (read entire post for notes on blending techniques).
- Season with salt, pepper, and red cayenne pepper (use a light hand with cayenne until you know how spicy you will like it) to taste.
- Butterscotch Texas Pecan Pie Recipe
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Easy Cranberry Sauce | Best Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Ritz Chicken Casserole
- King’s Hawaiian Rolls Copy Cat Recipe
- Bunny Ear Cupcakes
- Instant Pot Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes
- Carne Asada Fries
- Sweet Corn Mexican Ice Cream (No Churn)
- Homemade Tagalongs
- Red Velvet Hostess Cupcakes
- Crockpot Chex Mix