Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
Sour cream chicken enchiladas are a delicious and comforting Mexican-inspired dish made with shredded chicken, tortillas, sour cream, cheese, and enchilada sauce.
This delicious casserole dish of creamy enchiladas was a frequent dinner on our family table growing up. To this day, it’s one of the most comforting meals to me! I often choose to make these for my birthday and other special occasions. We usually serve this bean dip on the side with a huge pile of warmed tortilla chips.
Key Ingredients in Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
These ingredients work together to create a well-balanced and comforting dish. As the everything bakes together, the enchiladas absorb the creamy sauce, allowing the flavors to meld into a satisfying and flavorful meal.
- Flour Tortillas: The flour tortillas serve as the outer wrap for the enchiladas. They encase the flavorful chicken filling and absorb the creamy sauce as the dish bakes. They provide the necessary base and structure for the enchiladas.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: The shredded cheddar cheese adds a rich and savory flavor to the enchiladas. It’s used as both a filling and a topping, melting beautifully and providing a satisfying cheesy element to the dish.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: The cream of chicken soup serves as the base for the creamy sauce. It brings a velvety texture and a comforting chicken flavor that coats the enchiladas during baking, adding moisture and flavor to the dish.
- Milk: The milk is used to thin down the cream of chicken soup, creating a smoother consistency for the sauce. It also contributes to the creamy texture and helps the sauce distribute evenly throughout the dish.
- Sour Cream: The sour cream adds a tangy and creamy element to both the sauce and the filling of the enchiladas. It enhances the overall flavor profile and contributes to the richness of the dish.
- Chopped Green Chiles: The chopped green chiles provide a mild level of heat and a distinct, slightly smoky flavor to the enchiladas. They add a layer of complexity to the dish without overpowering the other flavors.
Serve with Homemade Refried Beans
Serving homemade refried beans as a side dish is a great way to complement your sour cream chicken enchiladas. We can’t recommend this recipe for Homemade Refried Beans highly enough (please just trust us and do it). But in case you need convincing, here are 5 reasons why you should absolutely make our from-scratch refried beans to go alongside these creamy enchiladas.
- Flavor: Homemade refried beans offer a rich, earthy flavor that contrasts well with the creamy and cheesy taste of the enchiladas. We like adding a drizzle of Taco Bell (Mild) Sauce to ours.
- Texture: The creamy texture of refried beans adds a satisfying element to your meal, enhancing the overall dining experience. Especially when you add a big pile of warm tortilla chips to the plate!
- Nutrition: Refried beans are a good source of protein and dietary fiber, making them a nutritious addition to your meal.
- Texture Contrast: The smooth texture of the refried beans provides a pleasant contrast to the texture of the enchiladas, adding depth to each bite.
- Portion Control: Refried beans are delicious and filling. Serving them as a side is an extremely efficient way to supplement the main part of the meal. In other words, you get a better bang for your buck– you can serve fewer enchiladas. Which is good for the budget and hopefully leaves you with one or two left over for lunch the next day!
Tips for Success
- Even Cheese Distribution: Distribute the shredded cheese evenly over the top of the enchiladas to ensure each bite has a cheesy goodness.
- Cover While Baking: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil during the initial baking period to prevent excessive browning or drying out.
- Rest Before Serving: Allow the enchiladas to cool slightly after baking. This helps the flavors settle and makes them easier to handle when serving.
- Garnish: Add fresh chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, or a little bit of salsa as a garnish before serving for added freshness and flavor.
- Customize: Feel free to customize the recipe by adding ingredients like black beans, diced bell peppers, or corn to the filling for extra texture and flavor. You could even switch up the protein and make these using pork, beef, or refried beans!
- Serve with Sides: As previously mentioned… serve your enchiladas with your favorite sides like rice, beans, guacamole, or a simple salad to complete the meal. And always with a big serving of your favorite tortilla chips to scoop up any of the filling or sauce left on your plate 🙂
More Mexican-Inspired Favorite Recipes
Alternatives to Cream of Chicken Soup
Maybe you’re not a fan. Or maybe you just don’t have any in the pantry tonight. Either way, we’ve got you. Here are some great alternatives to using Cream of Chicken Soup in this recipe.
- Homemade Cream Sauce: Make your own creamy sauce using a roux (butter and flour) as a base. Mix in chicken broth or stock, milk or heavy cream, and seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme. Cook until thickened.
- Cream of _________ Soup: Replace cream of chicken soup with any other cream soup (celery, mushroom, etc.) for a different flavor profile. This can add a savory and earthy taste to your enchiladas.
- Sour Cream Sauce: Since you’re already using sour cream, you can create a sour cream-based sauce by mixing sour cream with a bit of chicken broth or stock. Add your preferred seasonings for flavor.
- Tomatillo Sauce: For a tangy and slightly spicy twist, consider using a tomatillo-based sauce. Blend tomatillos, green chilies, garlic, onions, and seasonings to create a flavorful sauce.
- Tomato Sauce: Create a tomato-based sauce by combining tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes with seasonings like cumin, chili powder, and garlic. You can also add a touch of heavy cream for creaminess.
- Cheese Sauce: Make a rich cheese sauce by melting butter, adding flour to create a roux, and then whisking in milk and shredded cheese until smooth. This can give your enchiladas a cheesy and creamy texture.
- Greek Yogurt or Cottage Cheese: Replace sour cream with Greek yogurt or blended cottage cheese for a protein-rich creamy element.
- Cashew Cream: Blend soaked cashews with chicken broth and seasonings to create a dairy-free and creamy sauce.
How to Make Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- 10 flour tortillas
- 2 lbs chicken breast*, cooked and shredded
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 can (the cream of chicken can) of milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can chopped green chiles
- Whisk together the soup, milk, sour cream, and chiles. Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Fill each tortilla with shredded cheese and chicken and roll it up. Place each enchilada seam side down in the baking dish. Cover with the remaining soup mixture.
- Sprinkle any remaining cheese on top (feel free to add more than called for if desired).
- Bake uncovered at 350ºF for about 20 minutes, until bubbly and hot through.
- Garnish with cilantro or green onions. Serve with a red salsa and our homemade refried beans.
*We love using rotisserie chicken for this recipe whenever possible!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 710mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 40g
Indulge in the ultimate comfort food experience with our Creamy Chicken Enchiladas topped with a luscious Sour Cream Sauce. This homemade enchiladas recipe brings together the best of Tex-Mex cuisine, creating a dish that’s both easy to make and irresistibly delicious. These enchiladas feature tender shredded chicken enveloped in tortillas, rolled to perfection and bathed in a rich and creamy sauce.
The magic happens when you combine the flavors of the chicken, enchilada sauce, and the tangy creaminess of the sour cream, forming a symphony of tastes that’s reminiscent of authentic Mexican comfort food. These cheesy, baked tortilla-wrapped delights offer the ultimate blend of textures, with the soft tortillas providing the perfect canvas for the flavorful filling.
Whether you’re looking for a family dinner idea or an easy dish to impress your guests, these Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream are bound to be a hit. So go ahead, try your hand at this homemade enchiladas casserole, and experience the heartwarming flavors of Tex-Mex cuisine in every bite.
- Easy All Butter No Chill Pie Crust Recipe
- Quaker Oats Apple Crisp Recipe with Old Fashioned Oats
- Easy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- No Chill Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Dad’s Southern Homemade Chili Recipe
- Protein Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
- Easy Halloween Spider Cookies
- Monster Cookie Energy Balls
- Carne Asada Mac & Cheese
- Perfect Dinner Rolls
- Broccoli & Beef Ramen
- Butter Dip Biscuits