Protein Muddy Buddies Recipe
Protein Muddy Buddies Recipe
Indulge in a guilt-free treat with our High Protein Muddy Buddies Recipe; it’s a delicious twist on a classic snack packed with protein goodness. Snack smarter and treat yourself without derailing your healthy eating goals or sacrificing taste– woot woot! A few simple swaps is all it takes, and we’ll show you how.
You can find the traditional recipe for Muddy Buddies here. We love that one too!
Ingredients and Supplies Needed for High Protein Muddy Buddies
- White Chocolate Chips
- Natural Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Chex Cereal
- Protein Powder
- Unflavored Collagen
Healthy Muddy Buddies (or Puppy Chow)
Muddy buddies, also known as puppy chow, is a popular snack made with cereal, chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. But our version takes it up a notch by incorporating high protein ingredients to make it both satisfying and good for your body.
These high protein muddy buddies are not only delicious but also pack a punch when it comes to nutrition! The combination of whole grain cereal provides fiber for satiety, while the peanut butter offers healthy fats and protein. The addition of protein powder further boosts its nutritional value.
Whether you need a post-workout snack or a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, these high protein muddy buddies are the perfect choice. They satisfy your sweet tooth cravings while providing essential nutrients to fuel your body. We love using Clean Simple Eats brand products for this recipe, but we linked to a couple of other brands easily found on Amazon (above the previous photo).
Protein Muddy Buddy Variations
The traditional recipe for Muddy Buddies features Chex cereal coated with melted chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. Adding a little extra protein makes it even better. But if you’re looking to change it up even more, we’ve got you covered with these four delicious variations!
If you’re a fan of Nutella, then this variation is perfect for you. Instead of the peanut butter in the original recipe, substitute it with an equal amount of Nutella. Coat the cereal thoroughly before tossing it in powdered sugar as usual. The result? A heavenly blend of chocolatey goodness and nutty flavors that will leave you wanting more.
2. Cookies and Cream
Take your Oreo obsession to new heights with this twist on Muddy Buddies! Replace regular Chex cereal with chocolate Chex. Melt white chocolate instead of milk or dark chocolate and mix it with crushed Oreo cookies before coating the cereal pieces. Dust them generously with powdered sugar for an irresistible sweet treat reminiscent of everyone’s favorite cookie flavor.
3. Peanut Butter Cup
Calling all Reese’s lovers! This variation combines two iconic treats into one fantastic creation. Add chopped mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups along with regular chocolate chips when melting the chocolate mixture in the first step. Mix them together well before adding the cereal pieces to ensure even distribution throughout each bite. Finish by dusting them lightly with powdered sugar as usual.
4. Mint Chocolate
If you’re a mint chocolate chip fan, look no further than this delightful variation. Swap the regular chocolate chips for mint-flavored ones (Andes bits are so good!) and omit the peanut butter. Crush up some Grasshopper cookies and mix them in with the cereal before dusting with powdered sugar.
- 8 cups chocolate Chex cereal
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. unflavored collagen powder
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder (we like CSE)
- 1/2 cup powdered peanut butter (we like CSE)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, microwave the peanut butter, white chocolate chips, and coconut oil in 30-second increments. Stir in between each time in the microwave until smooth (I only need 1 minute total for mine).
- Pour the cereal into the bowl and use a large silicone spatula or spoon to gently mix and coat the cereal.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the protein powder, collagen powder, powdered PB, and powdered sugar.
- Pour the powder mixture over the cereal and gently stir to coat.
- Transfer mixture to a Ziploc bag and freeze for at least an hour before serving.
I like to eat this snack straight out of the freezer, but you can keep it at room temp if you prefer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1/16
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 11gCarbohydrates: 29.5gProtein: 6.5g
Muddy Buddies FAQ
Muddy Buddies, also known as Puppy Chow, is a popular snack made with Chex cereal coated in a mixture of chocolate, peanut butter, butter, and powdered sugar. It's a delicious and addictive treat that is perfect for parties or just snacking on anytime.
To make Muddy Buddies, start by melting chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter together in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir until smooth and then pour the mixture over the Chex cereal in a large mixing bowl. Gently toss until all the cereal is evenly coated. Next, transfer the coated cereal into a large resealable plastic bag and add powdered sugar. Seal the bag tightly and shake it vigorously to coat all the pieces with powdered sugar. Finally, spread the muddy buddies out on wax paper to cool and set before serving.
Absolutely! While traditional Muddy Buddies are made with Rice Chex cereal, you can experiment with other varieties like Corn Chex or Chocolate Chex for added flavor options.
If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, you can easily modify the recipe to suit your needs.
- Peanut Allergy: Use almond butter or sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter.
- Dairy Allergy: Replace regular butter with dairy-free margarine or coconut oil.
- Gluten-Free: Ensure that all ingredients used are certified gluten-free (including cereals) to avoid cross-contamination.
When stored in an airtight container at room temperature, homemade Muddy Buddies can stay fresh for up to two weeks! However, they rarely last that long because they are so irresistible!
Absolutely! You can get creative with your Muddy Buddy variations by adding different mix-ins like mini marshmallows, pretzels, or crushed crushed cookies to name just a few.
- Homemade Nutter Butters Recipe
- Muddy Buddy Crumbl Cookies Copycat Recipe (Dairy Free)
- Easy All Butter No Chill Pie Crust Recipe
- Sesame Garlic Ramen Noodles Recipe
- Peanut Butter Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting
- Easy Halloween Spider Cookies
- Thick and Chewy Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Perfect Dinner Rolls
- Scratch Vanilla Pancake Mug
- Easy Shrimp & Grits
- 3-Ingredient No-Churn Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
- Flat French Bread